Monday, February 27, 2017

NYCTOPHILIA


It was more than a year ago when I started questioning my really odd habit of avoiding the sun and being generally more active (both physically and intellectually) during the night. I notice I would pay more attention during the evening rather than during the morning it was (and still is) as if I woke up more and more as the day passed. Besides I wasn’t able to fall asleep in a decent amount of minutes during the night, it took me ages sleep, like if I wanted to stay wake. I’d avoid going to sleep so I would undertake other tasks like drawing, finishing a film or a painting, basically anything but sleeping. Another interesting fact is that I’m not one of those people who need bombs to wake up in the morning since as soon as the alarm clock rings I’m up.
But was that as soon as I realized this weird feeling of almost loathe towards sleeping during the night that I made some researches: it was weird also for a weirdo like me.

During one of my late-night drawing sessions, last summer, I found on the web some interesting information about this mental and physical status called “nyctophilia”. At first I thought it was some kind of joke and still deep inside myself I believe it not being a really thing at all. Anyway the word literally, translated from the Greek, means “love of night”. It is opposed to “nyctophobia” which, yeah you guessed it right, means fear of the dark. (Ok, now I’m mentally singing “Fear of the Dark” by Iron Maiden, yep).
Anyway this nyctophilia is finding pleasure from darkness, feeling relaxed and at ease during the night. These people often feel tired during the day and are not very productive but as soon as the sun sets they start their activities and feel productive/less tired.



Again, this might be a fake information because there aren’t many information online. And we all know that if it’s not online it’s not real and it never existed…. Before you freak out even more, that was a joke.
Anyway I believe it would be really hard to have a life that conciliates both your mental status and your working life.


Ok, end of the rant. 

No comments:

Post a Comment